cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Frank Zhang <Frank.Zh...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [ACS41] Concerns about where development has happened
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:04:01 GMT

> Hi all,
>
> In reviewing the feature proposals for 4.1.0, David and I have found many
> problems that indicate that development has happened outside of the
> community.  While I can't be sure that we've found all of the issues, it's
> certainly problematic to see this many.
>
> Please review and let me know if I'm misinterpreting the state of things.
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here.  I guess we have 2 options: we re-write
> the code from scratch as CloudStack code, or Citrix donates the code
> produced for CloudPlatform (and it gets taken through the IP clearance
> process).
>
> The following features are potentially issues:
>
> CLOUDSTACK-297
> This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release Discussion occurred in October I
> don't believe that the code is in the ASF repo
>
> CLOUDSTACK-299
> This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release The UI code appears to be in our
> repo, but the backend does not.
> Example, grep for: createEgressFirewallRule
>
> CLOUDSTACK-306 (CLOUDSTACK-775 is a duplicate) This is in the
> CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release Commits went into master on Jan 4 (there are 3
> commits) Discussion happened in October
>
> CLOUDSTACK-737
> This is in the CloudPlatform 3.0.6 release UI work completed (CLOUDSTACK-
> 537) in the asf repo, starting in november I can't find any commits for the
> backend work in our repo The requirements wiki page and jira record were
> created on Jan 3 Dev list discussion started in November, but there were
> outstanding questions that were not addressed in that thread.  Unsure if
> consensus was achieved.
>
> CLOUDSTACK-774
> Frank identified that this was a "Byron feature" and that all "Byron features
> should be merged to ASF repo", but I'm unable to find in the CloudPlatform
> release notes Unable to find dev list discussion

First thanks for pointing this out, it definitely makes our process better.

CLOUDSTACK-774 is claimed as a tech-preview in 3.0.6 release, the release note may
not have mentioned it as it's not well QA tested.  Actually there was some discussion
recorded in "baremetal thoughts" thread, sorry I cannot find it out as http://markmail.org
stops working now.

anyway, I am working with Animesh to work out a solution for this case.