cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] "Arming" cloudstack supporters in "stack war" bakeoffs....
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:06:17 GMT

On Jan 23, 2013, at 7:53 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I like to discuss with the community how we can best "arm" cloudstack supporters in "stack
war" bakeoffs.  This is due to Ilya's email thread.  I think his question and others like
it will be repeated often.  The community suggested an objective process to evaluate the various
stacks: bakeoffs, which I'm supportive of.  But it make sense that people don't just enter
into these bake-offs blind.   We should provide them with the information, experience and
process to properly conduct cloudstack in these bakeoffs.  However, I'm not sure what's the
right combination to provide.  So I like to start this topic to see what the community thinks.

> I asked this during cloudstack-meeting and Chip suggested Dave's runbook.  That's a good
starting point.  Is there any other suggestions?

Alex,

I believe the runbook was not updated after the 4.0 release, so it needs patching. I also
think it describes an advanced zone.

From my recent experience folks who try CloudStack struggle with:

-Basic vs. Advanced. Some folks dive straight into advanced and hit the wall on vlans.

-Network connectivity of the systemVMs. This is still not clearly explained.  We need better
diagrams, and clear explanation. Maybe a good blog on this would work wonders.

-If you have existing DHCP,DNS services how do you deploy cloudstack with it. This is a typical
case at universities, where students don't have access to the network. They just have couple
boxes with static IPs and no VLANS.

-Documentation issues. Some folks on Ubtuntu have been hit with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-460
which is patched in master, but not reflected in the deb on the repo. We need to check our
processes to update blockers like these faster.

-Finally, DevCloud. It's a great tool, but has limitations (ttylinux) and like Mike is facing
now, if you have not followed the threads on devcloud over the last 6 months, you may not
have a clear picture of how to use it.

-sebastien

> There's a top level section in our wiki that makes sense for this.  After we come up
with the right combination, we can update the wiki and continue to update the wiki with more
information.