cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] adopt semantic versioning for cloudstack?
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:13:33 GMT
On Jan 11, 2013, at 10:59 AM, Noa Resare <noa@spotify.com> wrote:

When reading the incubation policy(1) my understanding is that the
"incubating" requirement is a labeling thing for the archive file that gets
voted on, and not something that necessarily needs to be part of the
version of the release.

Looking at the release management guide(2) it seems implied that the
incubating substring is part of the project name and not the version.

Of course, I'm just speculating here. Someone with seniority within the ASF
might want to chime in, perhaps?

/noa

1) http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
2) http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

We discussed this during our 4.0.0-incubating release process, and the
advice from the mentors was to use -incubating everywhere until graduation.
Here's one of the threads (I think there were others too):
http://markmail.org/message/nnueyf7sollhxvxj

We could consider reopening the discussion, but I'm not sure it's worth it
really.

-chip

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Chip Childers