cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Networking plugin to integrate the MidoNet SDN platform with CloudStack
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:02:18 GMT
Hi Dave ,

IP clearance is required only when your feature would have been developed outside the community
intervention and you want to propose that feature to be merged with the asf/master branch.
 If you have happened to discuss the functional spec for your feature with the community and
answered the queries if any one might have in the community and done all your code commits
through review requests , IP clearance would not be required at all .

For your remaining queries -
See comments below -
[Dave] - * IMO, when pushing back to the repo, the commit should be big enough that it's worth
the reviewer's time - lots of tiny reviews would be a burden on the reviewer
[Pranav] - I wouldn't comment on the size of the patch .If your code is self-explanatory and
clean , reviewing either small patches or a big one should not be a big problem . But I would
still recommend to send smaller patches for reviews since it's easier for the people in the
community to scan through them easily and suggest amendments if required.

[Dave] - * However, if chunks / reviews are too big, is there an issue of development "appearing"
to have happened outside of the ASF repo?
[Pranav] - If you have been sending review requests for all the code which has gone into your
github repo , it should not create an issue since after all you have done your duty of making
all your development in the community . Just that , there should not be even a small chunk
of code which has been merged without having the community know about it - that's the criteria
, I reckon .

[Dave] - However, this may not make sense - for example, this plugin is not aimed for 4.1.0,
so commits to it probably shouldn't be sent back to master
    * Should there be a separate branch for the plugin in this case? If so, should I just
request that a committer create one?

[Pranav] -  If your plugin is not aimed for 4.1.0 and given that you are not having committer
rights , I believe , then your code won't be merged with asf/master until the 4.1.0 release
is over . Since you would just be generating the patches and sending them for reviews. The
committer would not merge them with as/master and keep them on hold until that period .
Perhaps someone in the PPMC ( may be David Nalley or Chip or Animesh ) can better answer your
last query .

Thanks,
Pranav