cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: Ubuntu/Debian packaging progress
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:22:34 GMT
Hi all,

During the IRC meeting today Chip asked me if I could update the list
about the packaging progress since it's important for the 4.1 release.

Yes, we are aware that Apache projects do source releases, but having
the stuff in place to actually generate working packages is something we
should do imho.

Anyway, my $dayjob is taking a lot of time and I didn't get to this.

But since Chip pointed me to it again I picked it up again and worked on
it a bit the last 2 hours.

The packages are now prefixed with cloudstack-* instead of cloud. This
is to prevent any name conflicts with other packages and also to make it
more clear.

This is still very early work and the packages are not in a state yet
where they can be used, it's just for testing.

I'm aware that the feature freeze for 4.1 is coming up and QA for 4.1
has to start. Having good packages will make QA much easier. The upgrade
path from 4.0 to 4.1 will also have to be tested which is more complex
due to the package renaming and squashing. (less packages).

The current progress can be tracked at:
https://github.com/noaresare/incubator-cloudstack/commits/packaging

As you can see, we've been kind of idle.

Next week Hugo, Noa and I will meet up at Build A Cloud Day in Belgium
and hopefully we can make some good progress that day.

Wido