cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Heneveld <alex.henev...@cloudsoftcorp.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] PaaS Enablement: Composite Application Blueprints (#576)
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2013 10:02:49 GMT

Nice analysis Chris and good observations all round.

So based on comments I think we should first aim to build something like
cloudformation-light / vapp-plus:  ie user can define a number of
related elements which will be provisioned together (going beyond just
VM's however) with some basic in-guest customisation (including
references to other provisioned elements).

Call this the phase 1 and still aim for completion in Q1 allowing
possible inclusion in 4.2 release.  Notes for a proposal to follow then
let's get all the interested parties to tear it apart -- so long as they
promise to help put it back together in a better way.

Beyond phase 1 many of us have ambitions for more advanced features --
because the world has come on since Cloud Formation and vApp.  We miss a
trick if we don't *plan* to extend this, allowing many of the features
which have been listed.  So I think in phase 1 we should give
consideration to how some of these might *look* -- so that the effort
has nice growing room -- but equally if we try to *do* too much in the
first pass we'll not get the feedback we need for this to work well, I
think.

Re YAML/JSON/TOSCA clearly there are merits each way (human friendly v
javascript friendly v standards friendly).  A big part of the proposal
exercise I think is to flesh these out, both for phase 1 and some of the
advanced features.

Point of order questions:  should the assembled volunteers develop the
proposal on the dev list, or should we migrate to a different forum
(jira issue, sub-list, somewhere else) to avoid clogging the main list,
then come back with it (ETA later this week) ?

Best,
Alex

On 18/01/2013 03:10, Chiradeep Vittal wrote:
> I tend to agree that what you can do with vApps (OVF) you can do with CF,
> and more.
> The issue with vApps I had was that stuff like network rules (FW/LB/etc)
> were not captured.
> They can be extensions, but everyone's extension is different.
> Hence I found the vaunted portability (to choose a different argument to
> argue against) is just non-existent.
>
> On 1/17/13 9:47 AM, "Jie Feng" <Jie.Feng@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Great analysis Chris!
>>
>> In terms of the blueprint model, I am also in favor of something simple.
>> CloudFormation can do what vApp is doing, and more. We only need to
>> implement a subset as a starter. For example, allow users to describe
>> multiple VMs, template ID for the VMs, and default service offering/disk
>> offering, networking for the interested zones, and startup order. Agree
>> with Kelcey that it does not need to be self-contained. We can support
>> importing/exporting of the blueprint to vApp (OVA/OVF) which contains
>> both the OVF descriptor and the template image files as an add-on feature.
>>
>> Do we need to map blueprints to project?  I thought project is more like
>> a shared workspace. IMO, we should have the flexibility to deploy
>> multiple blueprints and any VMs to a project.
>>
>> Jie

"size")
if user

I have