cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: CloudStack Storage Question
Date Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:56:15 GMT

On 01/13/2013 06:47 PM, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On the KVM side, you can do NFS, Local disk storage, CLVM (shared block
>> device that has Clustered LVM on top of it, a primary pool is a particular
>> volume group and cloudstack carves out logical volumes out of it as
>> needed), and RBD (RADOS Block devices, Ceph shared storage. You point it at
>> your cluster and cloudstack creates RBD devices as needed). Also
>> SharedMountPoint for something like GFS,OCFS or some shared filesystem.
>>
>> Xen has NFS, a 'PreSetup' where you create an SR in your Xen cluster and
>> pass the SR to it (I think), and iSCSI (I'm not clear on how this works,
>> but I'm sure its in the docs)
>
> Hi Marcus, that's a nice summary.
>
> Can't we do any of the distributed file systems for primary storage with Xen ?

I've been trying to convince the people from Xen to implement RBD into
the blktap driver, but that hasn't been done.

The people from Ceph also have had some conversations with Citrix, but
so far nothing has come out of it.

KVM seems to be the winner here if it comes down to distributed storage
since it's open source and stuff can be implemented very quickly.

If we want to get this into Xen, it's up to Citrix to implement it. They
just might need a little extra push.

If Citrix gets RBD into blktap, I'll make sure CloudStack knows how to
work with it :)

Wido

> -Sebastien
>

>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Mike Tutkowski <
>> mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, being new to CloudStack, I'm not sure what kind of storage protocols
>>> are currently supported in the product.  To my knowledge, NFS shares are
>>> what CloudStack has only supported in the past.  Does CloudStack support
>>> iSCSI targets at present?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

VM or
 If