cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: Private development branch
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:10:08 GMT
On 01/02/2013 02:32 PM, Likitha Shetty wrote:
> Even if a new branch is created won't a contributor's work flow for feature development
remain the same? Because from what I understand git by itself does not allow branch-level
access control.

Does that reflect back on the original question? I think Sateesh meant
that a "secure" location had to be non-local in case of data loss? Or
did I misunderstood?

Anyway, GIT doesn't support branch level access control, but does that
matter for an Open Source project?

Wido

> Thank you,
> Likitha

of development, developer need some place to push the code changes. It's needed to push code
changes to secure location rather than depend on commits to local repository (in their development
machine).

>> Would forking ASFCS on any public git host (github.com) sound good? Is that a legitimate
idea?

> Why not create a new branch on the ASF repo? This way other committers can easily see
that a new feature is being worked on.

> That said, you need to have committer rights to do so.
>
> If you place the code on Github it will not be seen by other community members and it
could also mislead other users who find the code on Github.