cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Kelceydamage@bbits" <kel...@bbits.ca>
Subject Re: Restore a VM from template
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2013 19:05:21 GMT
Yup, that's it, thanks.

That helps clarify the issue, and Trevor should be happy :)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 5, 2013, at 6:17 AM, Nitin Mehta <Nitin.Mehta@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi Kelcey / Trevor  - I think you got confused between 2 apis we have in Cloudstack -
restoreVirtualMachine and recoverVirtualMachine.
> restore vm api restores a new volume for the vm keeping the IP address and other attributes
intact. This action is available only when the vm is stopped or running state. Whereas recover
vm is for recovering the vm and just changes the state of the vm (from destroyed to stopped)
 and is available when the vm is in destroyed state.

> But we show actions for only one of them in the UI actions. We should have one for restoreVirtualMachine
api as well.

> Thanks,
> -Nitin
>

> On 05-Jan-2013, at 10:35 AM, Kelceydamage@bbits wrote:
>
> We discussed this, but RestoreVM is for resurrecting a VM in status 'Destroyed' before
its expunged.

> Trevor wants to re-image an existing VM. You could also look it at snapshot rollback.
Being able to restore a VM to a previous state.

> Most importantly Trevor needs a solution that does not change or re-assign the VMs IP
due to corporate application restrictions.