cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:58:58 GMT
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 09:07:05AM -0500, Chip Childers wrote:
> Since packaging is a theme yet again (and we seem to be headed in a
> direction that is useful for a distro packager), I wanted to raise the
> idea of trying to work with various Linux distros to get CloudStack
> into their official package repos.  I see the 4.1.0 release as being
> the ideal release
>
> I know that we have had various packagers represented on this list on
> and off, and I suspect that there are quite a few lurkers hanging
> around.
>
> My question to the community is: does it make sense for the Apache
> CloudStack community to reach out to various linux disto communities
> and see if they would be willing to include the software (as well as
> offer packaging help if needed)?

In my opinion yes, for a couple of reasons:

1) Simplicity - we need easier ways to try and use CloudStack. Yes, you
can add a repo, then walk through the additional steps to configure
CloudStack, etc. already - but it could be *much* simpler.

2) Perception / marketing. Simply put, not being in the distros means
lower visibility for CloudStack and a perception that it's not as
mature/popular/stable/etc. as other solutions.

3) More eyeballs, more testing.

Best,

jzb
--