cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] cloudmonkey releases along with CloudStack releases
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:43:27 GMT
Hey Hugo!

Yes, we should follow the ASF process and to make sure cloudmonkey won't be affected by CloudStack's
long release cycles I created a (totally independent) plugin which helps discover api for
a user role.
Using this plugin, cloudmonkey or any client would be able to discover new apis or changes
in available apis and won't need much development and it could be done with CloudStack's long
release cycles. (on the fly better online apidocs, and autocompletion for params coming too;
if this works as planned our cli is pretty much done and there won't be any maintenance problem
we can do official long term releases on pypi)

My concern was pypi is not asf infra and I considered it as an external place of distribution.

Long story short:
Previous proposal: stable, tested, voted cloudmonkey releases alongwith ACS releases on asf
infra; and stable snapshots on pypi maintained by community.
New proposal: let's do it as the official asf way on both asf/pypi alongwith CloudStack's
release cycles.

PPMC/committers pl. give me your pypi id, I'll add you as owner/admin and remove myself. We
can keep that account for official releases and I'll create another one for snapshots of cloudmonkey
under some different name which would have frequent releases based off master.

Regards.
PS. Frankly, I don't care where you host it and how you release it as long as the code is
good, maintainable, works and is reachable to the users.
PPS. For me the bigger problem is working with the code, fixing things, technical discussions,
reviewing code and making it fast and better (design, quality, data structure and tool wise).
PPPS. I want to avoid email m**terbat**n, the IP/legal/trademark/laws/release crap; we've
better people for that, I would reads their views and go with their decisions.
PPPPS. These are my personal views, at the lowest levels of the food chain my opinions should
not matter or this line it's got four Ps.