cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Nitin Mehta <Nitin.Me...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Virtual machine's Base Image Updatation Facility
Date Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:10:45 GMT
Hi Hari,

My comments inline.

On 26-Dec-2012, at 12:18 PM, Harikrishna Patnala wrote:

> When a user tries to create VM, following sequence of events happen with current CloudStack
implementation

> (1)    User / admin adds a template (which is stored on secondary storage)
>
> (2)    Template gets downloaded from secondary storage to primary storage
>
> (3)    New delta disk is created out of downloaded template
>
> (4)    VM created will be booting from delta disk
>

> Requirement:
> If admin replaces (1) with a new updated template, CS doesn't have a mechanism  to create
a new mapping between delta disk(3) and updated template. We need to provide a way to create
this mapping on restart of user VM.

> In order to implement the above mentioned requirement, I am planning to modify the API
restoreVirtualMachine which creates a new volume for the vm in case its existing volume gets
corrupted.
> Adding the logic  to check for the updated template and create a new delta disk from
the updated template.

I am confused what you mean here. What do you mean in case the volume gets corrupted ? Can
you please explain me the use case when you would like to restore the vm to a new template
?
Can you please post the new flow as well.