cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Min Chen <min.c...@citrix.com>
Subject [DISCUSS]API request throttling
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:49:00 GMT
Hi all,

Currently, the legitimate users of CloudStack can occasionally hammer the server with heavy
API requests that cause undesirable results, like killing the server, performance issues for
other CloudStack users. Also, it may become a mechanism for certain malicious users to do
malicious attacks to CloudStack service to cause cloud outage. To prevent certain things happen,
we would like to introduce  API request throttling feature to limit number of APIs that can
be placed by each account within certain time duration and will block API requests if the
account is over the limit so that he/she have to retry later. The detailed FS can be found
at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/API+Request+Throttling.

Please let me know any comments and suggestions.

Thanks
-min