cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [ASF4.1] [Discuss] health monitoring for load balanced instances
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:54:27 GMT
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Rajesh Battala
> <rajesh.battala@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Enhance existing 'load balancer' network service provided by CloudStack, to support
health monitor the load balanced instances. ADC's supported (NetScaler, Big IP, ADX) by CloudStack
have native capabilities to monitor health of in the instances. Leverage that to load balance
the traffic only to healthy instances.

>> This feature shall provide capabilities to
>>
>> - to configure health check policy with load balancer rule
>> - delete configured 'health check policy' associated with a load balancer rules
>> - list/describe instance health's.
>>
>> Benefits of configuring Health Checks on LB Rule:
>>
>>  *   Availability across zone failures: With the ability to perform health checks
on the right set of parameters, the load balancer can service all of the requests in case
of a VM failure or even a Zone failure. The load balancer would exactly know, based on the
health check configured, that the service is unavailable as supposed to the VM being unavailable.
>>  *   Dynamic addition / removal of VMs: Once the health checks are configured, the
load balancer can automatically remove a VM from load balancer pool if the health checks fail.
Also, once the health checks are successful again, the load balancer can add the VMs back
to the pool.

>> I would be implementing health checks for NetScaler and HAProxy
>> Jira ticket for this feature is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-443
>>
>> I had drafted the FS, will publish the FS very soon.
>>
>> Please share your Comments/Suggestions
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rajesh Battala
>
> +1 to this idea.
>
> One question that I have though, which may be off topic to the
> specific proposal.  I understand that you are proposing Netscaler and
> HAProxy support (and you are absolutely within your right to only
> volunteer for those two), but I'd also love to see the F5 support be
> upgraded to support this feature as well.
>
> Does anyone remember if F5 lent engineering support when F5 support
> was added to CS?  Or was it all Cloud.com / Citrix folks that did it?
> Ideally, this is a great place to see if we can get someone that's
> interested in continuing to support the F5 LBs involved in development
> (not necessarily someone sponsored by F5, but that's not necessarily a
> negative if they were).  Does anyone want to take this on and work
> with Rajesh?
>
> -chip

I keep seeing mentions of Brocade LB support - and think folks from
Brocade are actively working on that, so might make sense for them to
work on enabling this as well.

--David