cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Virtual machine's Base Image Updatation Facility
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:40:16 GMT
On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
<Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
> Templates should be immutable --if there is a new version created, then it
> is another template.
> The api should just take a reference to the new template and not try to
> deal with trickiness around updating templates. That workflow (versioning
> templates) is a different ball of wax entirely.

Agreed.
Templates should be immutable.
Additionally - the sysadmin side of me doesn't understand why I'd want
to do this at all. The template exists to get me to JEOS running - not
to manage updates. I (should) have tools that handle keeping all of my
deployed VMs in a consistent state, and updated to the proper version.
Trying to turn CloudStack into a patch management/package management
service seems a bit too much scope creep IMO.

--David