cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Concerns about our community health and collaboration process
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 17:53:33 GMT
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the followup Chip, I think I have a better idea now.
>
> The silence == consent thing is a bit hard for me to take; as a committer I
> have the ability to really screw things up, and so there's a lot of
> potential fallout from moving forward with something only to find out that
> someone missed a conversation. It also sort of validates how we've been
> doing things, if a feature is discussed, but there's little community
> interest, that sort of seems like the go ahead for us to just work on it
> and offer up our solution, with the caveat that the implementation needs to
> be spelled out in detail so to reduce blowback if some unexpected result
> occurs that was overlooked simply because nobody was really interested in
> the feature when it was being discussed (that worries me too). This sort of
> links back up with Alex's thread about knowing who is a mentor or leader
> over each aspect of the project and understanding who to get buyoff from
> for a new feature.

So I'll add to this - changes aren't set in stone after a discussion
period or commit. The magic of version control essentially lets us
revisit decisions - at least before release. For instance - Alex just
called out a problem with an upgrade script - and that was committed
well over a week ago, and I expect it will be fixed before release.

--David