cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache CloudStack Project Bylaws
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:37:11 GMT
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2012, at 7:36 PM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
>> <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:

>>> There are users of CloudStack-derived products (e.g., users of commercial
>>> distributions).
>>> Their feedback may arrive in the form of feature proposals from product
>>> managers of those
>>> commercial distributions. This is valuable to the project. I feel that
>>> this kind of contribution needs to be welcomed and acknowledged.
>>>

>> Sebastian and I had discussed removing the "users" role entirely, and
>> recognizing that users are contributors to the project if they
>> interact with this community.  I understand your point about users of
>> a downstream project being part of the overall community, but for the
>> purpose of the project's bylaws I believe that they have to interact
>> with this community directly and as individuals to be considered a
>> contributor.  Does this make sense to you?
>
> Let me clarify that I would love to have users on there. But I would like to see a clear
role/responsibilities so that a user can see how his involvement can impact the project. The
way it stood "pure" users would not be able to "make" it to the PMC.

> Joe proposed something. Maybe something like the following could also work:
>
> "Users who participate in the cloudstack-users mailing list, help other users, file bugs
and feature requests are considered contributors.
> The project sees the contributions as key driver to the health of the community"
>

> -Sebastien

I'm reworking the Users role in the latest draft, but I want to
highlight one point.  We consider users to be the reason that we work
on the project (as noted in the role description), but a user that
doesn't become a contributor isn't going to become a committer (and
therefore won't be eligible to become a member of the PMC).  I get
your point that "pure users" should be eligible to become committers /
PMC members, but the very definition of an active contributor allows
for that.

The question is really one of no contribution (of any type) vs. some
contribution.  The minute someone contributes, the person is a
contributor.

Take a look at the latest draft with that perspective in mind...  Let
me know if I hit the mark, or if I'm out on a limb.

-chip