cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: '[PROPOSAL]' Third party plugins
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 05:29:28 GMT
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Sonny Chhen <Sonny.Chhen@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to discuss a new feature that is being worked on for the next release of
CloudStack. It is the ability to add third party plugins into CloudStack while still utilizing
the current ui. The procedure in which this would occur is as follows:

> 1.       The developer  will write a plugin that they would like to add into CloudStack
>
> 2.        Using a predetermined file hierarchy we create, the developer will place their
plugin within the folder structure and fill out a plugin.js file

> 3.       The admin will then place this folder into the existing CloudStack "plugin"
>
> 4.       The admin will then add this new listing onto the plugin.js file that lies within
that folder

> 5.       The user then just has to refresh the browser and the plugin will be available
to use.

> We will be toying with the idea of adding a plugin button to the navigation so that the
user can see what plugins have been installed and click on them to access them.

> Please see the link below for more information.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30744936/plugin.jpg
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/3rd+Party+Plugin
>
> Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
>
> Thanks You and Best Regards,
>
> Sonny H. Chhen
> Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
> 4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Thanks for sharing Sonny.  I'm +1 on this concept!

For logistical reasons, I'd like to understand what we mean by "being
worked on for the next release of CloudStack".  Are you saying that
you are planning to be code complete by the end of January for the 4.1
feature freeze?  Is the coding in-progress?  If so, which feature
branch is it in?

Thanks!

-chip