cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Harikrishna Patnala <harikrishna.patn...@citrix.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Virtual machine's Base Image Updatation Facility
Date Wed, 26 Dec 2012 06:48:57 GMT
When a user tries to create VM, following sequence of events happen with current CloudStack
implementation

(1)    User / admin adds a template (which is stored on secondary storage)

(2)    Template gets downloaded from secondary storage to primary storage

(3)    New delta disk is created out of downloaded template

(4)    VM created will be booting from delta disk

Requirement:
If admin replaces (1) with a new updated template, CS doesn't have a mechanism  to create
a new mapping between delta disk(3) and updated template. We need to provide a way to create
this mapping on restart of user VM.

In order to implement the above mentioned requirement, I am planning to modify the API restoreVirtualMachine
which creates a new volume for the vm in case its existing volume gets corrupted.
Adding the logic  to check for the updated template and create a new delta disk from the updated
template.

Comments/suggestions ?

Thanks
-Harikrishna