cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Mice Xia" <mice_...@tcloudcomputing.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Scaling up CPU and RAM for running VMs
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 03:24:53 GMT
Great feature and I believe a lot of customers need it, hope Xenserver will support dynamic
memory change one day.

[Koushik]
Assuming that in the updated compute offering only CPU and RAM has changed, the deployment
planner can either select the same host in which case the values are dynamically scaled up
OR a different one in which case the operation fails. In future if there is support for live
migration (provided HV supports it) then another option in the latter case could be to migrate
the VM first and then scale it up.
[/Koushik]

For VMware, it supports memory overprovisioning, which means the total size of VM's allocated
memory can be larger than host's physical memory. Maybe we can leverage it and reduce the
chance to migrate VM before scale up.

Regards
Mice

-----Original Message-----
From: Koushik Das [mailto:koushik.das@citrix.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:44 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Scaling up CPU and RAM for running VMs

Currently CS supports changing CPU and RAM for stopped VM. This is achieved by changing compute
offering of the VM (with new CPU and RAM values) and then starting it. I am planning to extend
the same for running VM as well. Initially planning to do it for Vmware where CPU and RAM
can be dynamically increased. Support of other HVs can also be added if they support increasing
CPU/RAM.

Assuming that in the updated compute offering only CPU and RAM has changed, the deployment
planner can either select the same host in which case the values are dynamically scaled up
OR a different one in which case the operation fails. In future if there is support for live
migration (provided HV supports it) then another option in the latter case could be to migrate
the VM first and then scale it up.

I will start working on the FS and share it out sometime next week.

Comments/suggestions?

Thanks,
Koushik