cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Email Conventions : Subject Line Prefixes
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:52:55 GMT
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 03:21:53PM -0500, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Animesh Chaturvedi
> <animesh.chaturvedi@citrix.com> wrote:
> > I updated the wiki  'Mailing List' section with a table for commonly used prefixes.
This will need some collaboration and discussion to settle down. Please review and update.
Bring back any questions to the mailing list

> > Open items  that I think I am not clear yet.
> >
> > - What is the difference between using [DISCUSS] v/s [PROPOSAL]?
> >     I guess [PRPOPSAL] is used to start a broader discussion where you want to solicit
opinions whereas [DISCUSS] is narrow focused.

> I would actually like to just drop PROPOSAL.  If that's not agreed on
> by everyone else, then I actually believe that DISCUSS is the general
> one and PROPOSAL is a discussion about a specific proposed solution to
> something (which is opposite of the way you interpret it).

I kind of like having PROPOSAL and DISCUSS as you mention here -
sometimes there's something worth discussing that isn't a specific
proposal. ("Hey, what do we do about foo? Does anyone have an opinion?")

That said, I don't have a strong opinion here so if others don't like
the distinction I'm fine with just having DISCUSS.

> I would actually like to suggest that we use ACSXX for release
> specific emails.  The project's name is Apache CloudStack (ACS), not
> Apache Software Foundation CloudStack (ASFCS), hence my preference
> here.

+1

Best,

jzb