cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Merge request: Merging api_refactoring on master
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:36:41 GMT
Yes, it's correct. We're not changing any REST apis, it's the same old over the wire query
that is being processed differently and we're doing checks etc. in api layer itself which
would help us remove some bloat from the service layer.

Regards.

From: Alex Huang [Alex.Huang@citrix.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 12:18 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Merge request: Merging api_refactoring on master

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Rohit.  I believe the refactoring work consists of the following.

- Moving java packages around for better grouping.  These doesn't have much impact on the
query API, except for maybe some typos in the commands.properties file.
- Splitting the commands that have optional admin commands into an admin package.  The current
commands.properties should still be referencing the admin package as it is backwards compatible
with 4.0.0.
- Additions in the processing engine to process the new annotations added.  If the annotation
is not there, the processing remains the same as the 4.0.0.
- Work on the response side to make sure the UUIDs that were being returned are not done through
n+1 queries but from a big join.

The work on uuid etc actually happened in 3.0.0 but it was done in rather horrific fashion,
causing problems in upgrade, performance, scalability, and security.  We're really just cleaning
up in terms of that.  If you're running 3.0-4.0, you should be seeing uuids in the responses
and using uuids in the incoming query parameters already.  If you see specific examples where
it is not, it's a bug in the api.

I don't think it will break the end user api other than bugs introduced during coding.  In
fact, we took great effort to keep the api the same.  If we didn't have that constraint, I
would  have designed a completely new REST style api instead of keeping the semi-awkward query
language the current api is on.  This refactoring is all about keeping the over-the-wire api
the same while moving a lot of the hard-coded parameter checking, security checking, etc into
adapters to decouple the different aspects of checking to see if an api should be executed.

--Alex