cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Merge request: Merging api_refactoring on master
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2012 20:35:24 GMT
Hi David,

Thanks for the email, yes I really need that to know what mistakes we are doing, some of them
are ack'd (we need tests and habit of contributing code with tests) but for the most part
you got the wrong message.
To say it again, refactoring work does not introduce any new functionality, we're just trying
to cleanup code, fix behaviour and fix apidocs etc. That too restricted to cloud-api artifact.

The only reason I want to do it now is because of the dependencies that would have created
a lot of merge conflicts for everyone else who would be working now. And yes, this is WIP
because I want to move everything in cloud-api to org.apache.cloudstack, which if I do it
now would cause huge conflicts. For ex. there is no rule where all interfaces should be put,
most of them are in cloud-api, but some are spread across cloud-core, cloud-server etc. It
makes it difficult for a developer to understand the arrange of code in a filesystem and see
the big picture.

Lastly, I don't know how to write (good) tests and the best methods of testing but I think
what we need is OTW tests, I've no idea how unit tests for cmd/response classes would help
(sorry unit test n00b here, not much idea).
Testing would be done manually for now and/or using marvin's testclient which Prasanna (marvin
maintainer) can comment on.
Since, all the work is in api_refactoring, it's not in the limelight so what I want is to
bring these changes to master so more folks can participate. And, yes I'm trying to break
stuff so people who really care would help fix it (if anyone remembered, I liked Hugo's approach
during Maven migration time, if anyone remembers the epic email something like it's better
to break stuff and get folks involved then have it buried...). At the same time, I'm fixing
stuff and not just breaking them and leaving it for anyone else to fix it.

If this is not fine, how about plan B: I'll merge master on api_refactoring to get the latest
stuff, fix conflicts, move stuff but then anyone who wishes to contribute tests/code in api-layer
(how would be ensure or enforce that? one of the reasons I want this to be merged on master)
should send reviews/patches for api_refactoring branch. When we'll have tests etc. we can
try again for a merge request?

Regards.
PS. Refactoring work, manual hunting and pecking about 300 apis, cleaning mistakes of the
past working day n night, even on weekends was not fun, just sayin'
PPS. The motivation was that it would make it easier for a contributor to contribute code,
no "bad form" intended
PPPS. Where are the conf. videos?