cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com>
Subject Re: S3-backed Secondary Storage Enhancement
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 15:25:42 GMT
Chiradeep,

Please see my responses in-line below.

Thanks,
-John

On Nov 20, 2012, at 9:33 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:

> I must give kudos on the document
> (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/S3-backed+Secondary
> +Storage ). Quite complete
>
> If the intent is to make immutable assets (templates etc) visible across
> all zones:
> 1. Does the template_zone_ref table still make sense? Is it automatically
> updated?

Yes, the template_zone_ref table is still required.  Templates and ISOs must be attached to
a zone.  From my understanding of the system design, removing this requirement would require
a fundamental data model/architectural change.  Therefore, cross zone templates are supported
by creating a row in the template_zone_ref table associating the template to the zone.  These
propigation operations are performed upon template and zone creation.  This behavior pre-dates
this patch.  This patch automates the operation of propagating the data across zones.

I have updated the data model section of the design document to describe the data flow and
role of each table.

> 2. If I request a vm deployment from a template in a zone that has not yet
> sync'ed, what is the behavior?

The short answer is that S3 download behaves similarly to Swift downloads.  Templates and
ISOs are downloaded from S3 to NFS on-demand.  When a template is not found in the NFS volume,
the system will attempt to downloaded it from S3.  As noted in the design download, this on-demand
behavior may create a slight lag when a template is initially accessed in a zone dependent
on the available bandwidth between the SSVM and the S3-compatible store.

> 3. If I add a zone is the sync automatic to the new zone

Yes, per the template propagation and on-demand download behaviors described above, templates
and ISOs will automatically be available in a newly created zones.

I explained this process in the Architecture/Design section, and have updated it based on
on my response here.  Please let me know if it is needs further clarification.