cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Refactoring CloudStack
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:50:05 GMT
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:

> I sent out an email a couple of months ago about the need to refactor
> CloudStack into small pieces.  At the time, the overall sentiment was the
> community is heavily invested in releasing 4.0 and this should be brought
> up post 4.0.  Now that 4.0 has been released, I like to bring this up
> again.  I created a powerpoint to illustrate that need.  Please take a look
> at [1]
>
> This work is related to Edison's Storage subsystem, Kelven's Spring,
> Murali's notification system proposals.  The work is to be done in the
> javelin branch.
>
> Please comment.
>
> --Alex
>
> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Refactoring

Alex,

This is a fantastic, multi-leveled proposal with lots of implications.  I
think that I'm going to keep my comments to the high-level intent of the
document, and ask that we re-initiate discussions on the implementation
details individually.  In general, I'm highly supportive of this!

Some specific questions from the slides:

Slide 2 (Design Goals) - to me, the idea of "Allowing cloudstack components
to be written in any language" has some significant implications on choice
of framework and implementation design decisions for the refactoring work.
 Do you agree?

Slide 10 - there is a mention of a Policy Monitoring Service - what is that?

Slide 10 - Is the box labeled  CloudStack Orchestration Platform more
correctly labeled Cloud Engine?  If not, I think I'm not understanding the
diagram.  If so, then it makes sense to me.

Slide 21 - The "Account database" is shown.  Any thoughts in how would
multi-region users be synced?

-chip