cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Student Community ?
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:41:34 GMT
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012, at 08:32 AM, Radhika Puthiyetath wrote:
> Could we start with inviting students to code CloudStack- an Apache
> CloudStack Summer of Code ?

So, Summer of Code usually has an incentive (around $5K per student, if
I recall correctly).

Next year, when Google does Summer of Code I did plan to try to get
CloudStack accepted as a mentoring organization - but I don't think
they'll start asking for organizations before February or March. (I've
worked with GSOC before, when I was with openSUSE - it is a good
program.)

We *should* reach out to students before then, though - it's better to
have a few students who are involved with the project already.

Before going too deep into incentive programs, though, I'd encourage
checking out Stormy Peters' talk: "Would you do it again for free?"

http://stormyscorner.com/would-you-do-it-again-for-free

tl;dr - incentive programs don't always wind up generating long-term
involvement.

Best,

Joe
--