cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] releases going forward
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2012 07:44:54 GMT
This is something I want, a rolling release model (like Arch or Gentoo) where we can do releases
based on automated QA frequently say every week or month and do major releases every 2-5 months
(or whatever timelines we decide) as discussed which would be both manual and automated QA-ed.
The automation in QA using DevCloud and our test infra. would get us there.

Regards.

From: David Nalley [david@gnsa.us]
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:37 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Rohit Yadav; chip.childers@sungard.com Childers
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] releases going forward

> I am no release expert, but I was at couple devops events lately and the continuous delivery
model makes sense to me. We should aim to be able to release "every day".  Automate everything
up to the actual vote. The manual vote should actually be the lengthiest process in the release.
With that concept, aiming at a release every week would be the optimal (I know this is silly
!!)
> A search on Release early, release often leads to http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html
, nice quick read.

I agree - Continuous Delivery is an awesome read btw. I'd love to be
in that state, and folks like Prasanna are actively working on getting
us there.

> In general I think we should release first and fix later, rather than fix and release.
>
> Have we cut 4.0.1 yet ?

Nope, but we should start talking about it soon. There are a number of
bugs that seem ideal candidates, some of which have been fixed
already.