cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: CLI for CloudStack: cloudmonkey
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 18:45:02 GMT

basically can set any attribute on the class, so one can do something like creating something
(var, func). For example set ruler # (so instead of - you will have a # separator)

From: Chip Childers [chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 11:15 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: CLI for CloudStack: cloudmonkey

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was working on a CLI for cloudstack, it's based on Marvin (the neglected robot) and
called cloudmonkey after our beloved mascot :D

> I've committed that on master, please review:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=commit;h=2ceaa3911e792dbeb6c40dfb70961008a01f7e3c
>
> Features:
> - it's a shell and also a terminal tool, accepts file redirection and pipes
> - scalable to find and run old and new APIs
> - intuitive grammar and verbs
> - autocompletion (functional hack)
> - shell execution using ! or shell
> - cfg support: user defined variables, like prompt, ruler, host, port etc.
> - history
> - colors (disable using set color false)
> - dynamic API loading and rule generation
> - leverages Marvin to get latest autogenerated APIs
> - emacs like shortcuts on prompt
> - uses apiKey and secretKey to interact with mgmt server
> - logs all client commands
> - PEP-8 compliant code
>
> FIXMEs:
> - Reverse search over history
> - Fix input and output processing
>
> It requires python and clint;
> pip install clint (or if you have to easy_install clint)
> mvn clean install -P developer
> cd tools/cli/cloudmonkey
> python cloudmonkey.py
>
> If you want to have the terminal tool installed;
> cd tools/cli
> python setup.py sdist
> cd dist
> pip install cloudmonkey-0.0.4.tar.gz (or easy_install etc.)
>
> You can do stuff like;
> cloudmonkey < file-with-commands, or
> cloudmonkey list Users, or as shell;
>
> (If you see unicode chars cloud and monkey below, yes they were put intentionally :)
>
> $ cloudmonkey
> ☁ Apache CloudStack CLI. Type help or ? to list commands.
> 🙉 cloudmonkey>  set apiKey <your key here>
> 🙉 cloudmonkey>  set secretKey <your key here>
> 🙉 cloudmonkey>  <tab><tab>
> add      api      create   delete   disable  enable   help     list     quit     remove
  set      shell    update
> 🙉 cloudmonkey>  list <tab><tab>
> Accounts                   Alerts                     AsyncJobs                  Capabilities
              Capacity                   Clusters                   Configurations
> DiskOfferings              DomainChildren             Domains                    Events
                    EventTypes                 FirewallRules              Hosts
> HypervisorCapabilities     Hypervisors                InstanceGroups             IpForwardingRules
         IsoPermissions             Isos                       LBStickinessPolicies
> LoadBalancerRuleInstances  LoadBalancerRules          NetworkACLs                NetworkDevice
             NetworkOfferings           Networks                   NetworkServiceProviders
> OsCategories               OsTypes                    PhysicalNetworks           Pods
                      PortForwardingRules        PrivateGateways            ProjectAccounts
> ProjectInvitations         Projects                   PublicIpAddresses          RemoteAccessVpns
          ResourceLimits             Routers                    SecurityGroups
> ServiceOfferings           SnapshotPolicies           Snapshots                  SSHKeyPairs
               StaticRoutes               StorageNetworkIpRange      StoragePools
> SupportedNetworkServices   Swifts                     SystemVms                  Tags
                      TemplatePermissions        Templates                  TrafficTypeImplementors
> TrafficTypes               Users                      VirtualMachines            VirtualRouterElements
     VlanIpRanges               Volumes                    VPCOfferings
> VPCs                       VpnConnections             VpnCustomerGateways        VpnGateways
               VpnUsers                   Zones
> 🙉 cloudmonkey>  list Users
> …
> 🙉 cloudmonkey>  !ls
> # this give you a shell too and one can do things like
> 🙉 cloudmonkey>  !for i in Users Account; do echo `cloudmonkey list $i | grep id`;
done;

> Example commands to deploy a datacenter; (fill in dynamic ids etc.)
> create Zone dns1=8.8.8.8 internaldns1=10.147.28.6 name=Zone1 networktype=Basic
> create PhysicalNetwork name=test-network zoneid=
> add TrafficType traffictype=Guest physicalnetworkid=
> add TrafficType traffictype=Management physicalnetworkid=
> update PhysicalNetwork state=Enabled id=
> list NetworkServiceProviders name=VirtualRouter physicalNetworkId=
> list VirtualRouterElements nspid=
> api configureVirtualRouterElement enabled=true id=
> update NetworkServiceProvider state=Enabled id=
> list NetworkServiceProviders name=SecurityGroupProvider physicalNetworkId=
> update NetworkServiceProvider state=Enabled id=
> create Network zoneid= name=guestNetworkForBasicZone displaytext=guestNetworkForBasicZone
networkofferingid=
> create Pod zoneid= name=Pod1 gateway=10.147.28.1 netmask=255.255.255.0 startip=10.147.28.220
endip=10.147.28.235
> create VlanIpRange podid= networkid= gateway=10.147.28.1 netmask=255.255.255.0 startip=10.147.28.236
endip=10.147.28.250 forVirtualNetwork=false
password=password url=http://10.147.28.60
> create StoragePool zoneid= clusterid= name=NFS1 url=nfs://10.147.28.7/export/home/rohit/primary
> add SecondaryStorage zoneId= url=nfs://10.147.28.7/export/home/rohit/secondary
> update Zone allocationstate=Enabled id=
>
> After some stabilisation, I can put it on pypi so any user can just do pip install cloudmonkey
to get the CLI.

> Regards.
> PS. Marvin the neglected robot and hipster cloudmonkey should rule the world :D

Rohit,

This is really really cool.  It puts the "fun" in managing instances
from a command line.  I've been testing it against a production
CloudStack environment, and it's working pretty well.

If you don't mind, I might hack at the code a bit to fill in some gaps
that I'm seeing.  First example is that it assumes http, which doesn't
work in a public deployment where the endpoint is over https.

-chip