cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rant: Request for better commit messages
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:59:48 GMT
Sure thing.  A few questions:

the "CLOUDSTACK-<BUGID> prefix:" line, should that be changed to
simply "Bug id:"? I'm assuming that if the commit is a bug fix, the
fix will already be described in the summary and detail of the commit.
Or are we looking for something else here other than a description? I
could just see this being redundant, but perhaps I don't understand
what's being asked for on that line. Should id describe the bug itself
in one line, rather than the bugfix?

I'm also assuming it's ok to add the "Signed-off-by:" to the message.
I realize that some people will have their own configs that already do
this, or be used to using -s to auto-add it to the message, but
judging by the logs it seems that the majority don't. So hopefully
this doesn't upset anyone horribly :-) They can always change their
copy since the hook will need to be manually installed.

Attached is an example commit message generated by the hook so far. I
left in the default comment message as well, simply because it
includes a list of what's modified,etc for reference when typing up
the notes.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:

> I ported an old wiki from wiki.cloudstack to cwiki.a.o
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git#Git-CommitMessages
>
> Pl. check and edit as needed.
>
> One more thing, I checked looks like ASF infra guys have upgraded their review board.
> The bug (http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/detail?id=2690&thanks=2690&ts=1343826104)
got fixed so now downloading the diff downloads the actual uploaded git formatted patch.