cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Requirements of Storage Orchestration
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:13:28 GMT
It seems to me that for the most part these things are a function of
managing the storage backend, along with creating the disk pools,
formatting filesystems, and the like, that are used as primary storage
by CloudStack.

Should there be plugins to manage storage backends? Does any competing
project in the segment do this? It seems extremely complex to add in
functionality to expose disks and arrays from a SAN or NAS, allow the
admin to configure them into pools, choose filesystems, manage
NFS/iSCSI/RBD exports, and configure filesystem features all through
cloudstack. The root admin would be the only one with access and they
likely would find it just as easy to do it with the tools the storage
vendor provides.

To me the only way it makes sense to roll those things in is if
there's some way to do it at the VM image level. I believe qcow2
supports encryption, and we can probably do encrypted lvm volumes as
well. I'd actually like to look into this. We also need to realize
that encrypting the disk doesn't do much good if someone gets access
to the VM host or cloudstack, they could likely see the encryption key
as well, but it does help in a case where someone tries to download a
copy of the disk image, if someone takes the physical disk array, or
something like that.

Dedup will likely always be a function of the filesystem or storage
array, and I don't see a way for cloudstack to work at that level.