cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Not posting 4.0 docs to website?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:32:41 GMT
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Jessica Tomechak
<jessica.tomechak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just checking up on the issue linked below, "post docs to new doc website,"
> and I notice it's stalled. Comments from Noah and Chip are to the effect
> "this can wait until after we get the software out." I'd just like to go on
> record that I think it would be very helpful to users if we can get these
> docs onto the website before 4.0. David N. promised that posting them would
> be a trivial process, so it shouldn't cost anyone too much effort. As far
> as I know, there are plenty of docs built and ready to post, especially if
> we build the version that's checked in to master (lots of nice changes
> after code freeze).
>
> If anyone can chime in with further thoughts, status, or why this can't be
> done, I'd appreciate it very much.

It is comparatively trivial to publish them - but I haven't as of yet
as fwiu there are still a number of bugs dealing with material
inaccuracies that means that adhering to the docs results in an
inability to get a working CS instance, or even an install.

Here are some of the issues:

Additionally there are a number of tasks still listed as not done
(completion of the installation guide)

Additionally as Chip pointed out, the installation instructions that
are provided don't resemble installation for anything other than the
developer builds from Jenkins. Wido has agreed to host RPM and DEB
repos, but the project isn't providing anything other than a source
release - and nowhere in either of those is the install.sh
installation method, which is what is documented in the install guide
- so it's confusing at best - and not something that someone can
currently follow.

That said - if you'll let me know when you consider the docs done,
I'll be happy to publish those (or any other committer can in my place
as well)

--David