cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DOCS][DISCUSS] Some style / formatting issues in docs
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:51:15 GMT
> I'd also like to discuss the formatting / wrapping of the files
> themselves. The release notes are hard-wrapped right now so that there
> are line breaks at about 80-100 columns even if it means something like
> this:
>
> <note>
>     <para>I've got some text here
>     and it wraps oddly.</para>
> </note>

My XML OCD personality says that the above is wrong and instead should be:

<note>
    <para>
        I've got some text here that is no more than 80 chars long
        and it wraps oddly
    </para>
</note>

That said, our Java coding standards says lines shouldn't be more than
80 chars:
http://docs.cloudstack.org/CloudStack_Documentation/Design_Documents/Coding_Conventions#Files.2C_Layout_and_whitespace
That said, I am not necessarily married to this, but line lengths that
hit 500-600 characters is undesirable in my mind.

--David