cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Github integration
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:17:45 GMT
Following up to this thread:

> Some ways in which the current CloudStack account on GitHub are problematic:
>
>    - CloudStack is used as the account name, in both the URL and the UI

I attempted to solve this with cloudstack-extras - and that thread is
still ongoing.

>    - The account advertises itself as the "CloudStack Project"

I changed this to: former home of the CloudStack Project (Now Apache
CloudStack (incubating)  - which obviously has a typo, and doesn't do
a good job explaining what it is.
I've changed this a few moments ago to: "Collection of repos that are
useful for folks using Apache CloudStack" let me know if you see that
as problematic.

>    - There is a repository itself called "CloudStack"

Yes. So here is the problem (and happy to hear creative ways to solve it.)
The entire CloudStack code base did not move to the ASF. In particular
we only moved what was, at that time, the most recent version's brand
and the master branch were moved. (as per the proposal submitted to
the incubator.) However, CloudStack has about 4 years of history prior
to that and probably something close to 50 releases. CloudStack, prior
to April was GPLv3 licensed. So there is a requirement under the GPL
that we make our source code available for those releases; and quite
honestly the git repo is the easiest way to do this. I am open to
other alternatives to complying with the legal responsibilities of the
GPL, but I am not aware of any)  I have made that repo effectively
read only (it was acting as a mirror for a Citrix internal repo.
In short, I do not see a legal way of jettisoning this repo. But open
to alternatives.
I have added a disclaimer to the description of the repo that says as follows:
DEPRECATED & read-only!! - This repo exists for GPL compliance only.
CloudStack development has moved to the ASF - see
http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack

>    - There is a link to http://cloudstack.org

I've removed that link (and the link to the ACS project page) I've
added disclaimer that says 'not affiliated with the Apache CloudStack
project'

>    - The word "CloudStack" is frequently used in repository names

This is a nominative use of the word CloudStack IMO. knife-cloudstack
is a knife plugin designed to interact with cloudstack.
puppet-cloudStack is a puppet module designed to deploy CloudStack,
zabbix-cloudstack is a Zabbix module designed to monitor CloudStack.
As I said in another email, not every use of the word CloudStack is a
trademark violation, and indeed I don't know what we would change it
to if it were. knife-that-IaaS-project-at-the-ASF seems a bit
pointless.

>    - There isn't a single mention of Apache anywhere on the page

There is now a mention of apache there, but it disclaims any involvement.

What else needs to happen wrt this github account?

--David