cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Outback Dingo <outbackdi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What Gartner can't - or won't - tell you about OpenStack Cloud
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:27:37 GMT
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
> Thank you David! You said what I am thinking.
>
> Wido
>
> Op 13 okt. 2012 om 19:11 heeft David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Hi folks:
>>
>> So a couple of comments.
>> I appreciate the level of passion seen in this thread - it tells me
>> that people love CloudStack. That said, open source projects competing
>> among themselves is almost always fruitless. The world is large enough
>> for two, three, or more open source IaaS projects. (Just like the
>> world is big enough for PostgreSQL and MySQL; Red Hat, Ubuntu, SLES,
>> Slackware, and others.) In short, this project's goal is not to beat
>> OpenStack. The goal is to be a useful, stable, community-led
>> Infrastructure-as-a-Service open source project.
>>
>> When you see articles that contain misinformation, it's perfect
>> acceptable to provide corrections. It's also important to catch what
>> they see as legitimate defects - file those as bugs, and lets correct
>> them. Far more valuable though, IMO, is that we spend our time doing
>> the the following two things:
>> 1. Testing, fixing, and documenting Apache CloudStack so that it is
>> the best IaaS platform available. (Have you tested the latest 4.0.0 RC
>> builds?)
>> 2. Telling the story of how/why we use CloudStack (notice I didn't say
>> why it's better, or why it beats $foo project)
>>
>> To that end, John Kinsella has been working with Apache Infrastructure
>> to get an Apache CloudStack planet setup where we can aggregate such
>> blogs, so watch for updates on this front and consider aggregating
>> your blog there, but don't hesitate to start blogging now :)
>>
>> --David

I just have to say while I agree with the proverbial be nice and
provide information, its not worth the fight, I refuse to let lies and
invalid assessments go unanswered. Yes, we all have a place, but that
place need not be diminished because of the completely misstated facts
and lies regarding the matter.