cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: For review: Release announcement for ACS 4.0-incubating
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:48:14 GMT
Edits highlighted.

###

> [ANNOUNCE] Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating Released
>
> The Apache CloudStack project is pleased to announce the
> 4.0.0-incubating release of the CloudStack Infrastructure-as-a-Service
> (IaaS) cloud orchestration platform. This is the first release from
> the Apache Incubator.

Dropped "(Incubating)" as this is not part of the poddling name.

The "Apache Incubator" is a TLP of the ASF. We should use it's full name.

> CloudStack is an integrated software platform that allows users
> to build a feature-rich IaaS. CloudStack includes an intuitive
> user interface and rich API for managing the compute, networking,
> accounting, and storage for private, hybrid, or public clouds.

Dropped "Apache" from the project name.

We can refer to it with the shortened version as long as we establish the
full name early on, IIRC.

Sally may very well tell me I am totally wrong on this one!

> The 4.0.0-incubating release represents the culmination of more than six
> months work by the CloudStack community. The release includes
> more than a dozen new features, many bugfixes, security fixes, and a
> fully audited codebase that complies with Apache guidelines.

Changed "ASF" to "Apache" as it has not been defined yet.

Alternative would be to define it in full here, and put the abbreviation in
brackets.

> ##New Features:
>
>  * Inter-VLAN Routing (VPC)
>  * Site-to-Site VPN
>  * Local Storage Support for Data Volumes
>  * Virtual Resource Tagging
>  * Secure Console Access on XenServer
>  * Added the ability to create a VM without immediately starting it (via
>  API)
>  * Upload an Existing Volume to a Virtual Machine
>  * Dedicated High-Availability Hosts
>  * Support for Amazon Web Services API (formerly a separate package)
>  * AWS API Extensions to include Tagging
>  * Support for Nicira NVP (L2)
>  * Ceph RBD Support for KVM
>  * Support for Caringo as Secondary Storage
>  * KVM Hypervisor support upgraded to work with Ubuntu 12.04 and RHEL
>  6.3
>
> ##Downloads
>
> The official source code release can be downloaded from:

Add a newline here.

> http://cloudstack.org/downloads.html
>
> In addition to the official source code release, the project has also
> made convenience binaries available on the Apache CloudStack download
> page.

Above para is not needed.

I would actually move this to the top of the email. It is our call to
action. Why burry it?

Announcements are for users as much as they are for PR/AR.

> ##CloudStack Collaboration Conference
>
> The Apache CloudStack project will have its first collaboration
> conference in Las Vegas, from November 30th through December 2nd at The
> Venetian. The conference will provide an opportunity for the community
> to learn more about Apache CloudStack, share best practices for
> deploying Apache CloudStack, and discuss ideas for upcoming releases.
>
> Learn more about the CloudStack Collaboration Conference at

Insert ":" and a newline.

--
NS