cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Bugs: How do we close + handle bugs?
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:17:51 GMT
Open defect Triage:
During 4.0 release cycle, I saw some community members (mainly release managers) are assigning
defects and I myself also triaged and assigned some defects based on priority and impact.
Triage can be done when release is planned for 4.1 so community can decide which defects are
must fix for 4.1. I would think P1 and P2 are must fix and no triage might be needed and can
be assigned to members who are working in certain area - rest can be looked at to see which
are required for 4.1 and which can be deferred. Other way to do is publish this filtered list
and ask  community members to pick and remaining ones can be looked at by release manager
and others who would like to triage defects.

Defect closure:
Whoever requested or opened the defect can close the defect and if there are others that remain
can be closed by whoever is validating the feature. This can be done during release cycles
pretty easily I would think.  A little bit of triage is needed but if reports are being sent
regularly and consistently, community would take action to bring down the resolved defect
numbers.  During 4.0 release cycle around 30% defects are left in resolved status i.e not
validated even though fix has been done. Out of those 30% defects some could be rejected and
that is the risk associated leaving them in resolved status.

As we grow towards automation, defect closure can be achieved through execution pass rates.
But we are far away from that at this point.

I would like to participate in triage process if there is a need for it.

Thanks
/Sudha