cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <prasanna.santha...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion]Auto provision of hosts(hypervisors) into cloud using auto discovery mechanism from the specified IP address range
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:52:39 GMT
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 02:14:53AM -0400, Sailaja Mada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is regarding the enhancement : Auto provision of
> hosts(hypervisors) into cloud using auto discovery mechanism from
> the specified IP address range @

> Enhancement Details :
>
> 1. Currently Hosts has to be added manually into the cloud to get
> provisioned.  2. This is the request to support for Auto provision
> of hosts(hypervisors) into cloud using auto discovery mechanism from
> the specified IP address range
>
> References for this enhancement :
>
> 1. https://supportcontent.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20ARCserve%20Unified%20Data%20Protection%20Enterprise%20Support%2016%200-ENU/Bookshelf_Files/HTML/hbug/index.htm?toc.htm?ua_hb_auto_disc_hosts.htm
> 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdxcHtiwZNU
> 3. http://support.hyperic.com/display/hyperforge/Hyperic+Custom+Auto-Discovery+Plug-ins

I notice that the demos here are talking only about ESXi. If
CloudStack were to adopt something like this it would have to support
all the hypervisors - Xen,KVM flavours, and VmWare ESXis.

I'm not entirely sure in what state the PING aided baremetal support
of Cloudstack is at but if decided to revamp this could fit in there.

In my mind, whatever solution is chosen will have to:

a) support all hypervisors through simple kickstarts.
b) work at cloud scale workloads.

I tried catching up on a few solutions that do this kind of
provisioning and implemented a bit with cobbler. It seems there isn't
a one size fits all. cobbler for instance doesn't work well with
Xenserver answer files and is more tailor made to suit typical
redhat kickstart style installations. Some flavours like Ubuntu also
define their own kickstart grammar. So that increases the complexity
of supporting something like this.

Also - such a solution shouldn't assume more than simple PXE booting
available. IPMI Enterprise, iDrac etc will not be suitable for all.

I imagine something like a virtual appliance that sits on each of my
pod's management network refreshing stuff as I please. Optionally we
should allow it to be turned off as well.

This one Ahmad linked to from Puppetconf is also quite interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR1bOg0IU5U

--
Prasanna.,