cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: What Gartner can't - or won't - tell you about OpenStack Cloud
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 13:25:47 GMT
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:36:18PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> +1 to what David said. The best response to most FUD is to a) ignore it,
> and b) double down on our efforts to make CloudStack rock. Bring on new
> committers, add more features, ship more software.

+1 to this.

> If there is ever the need to clarify something, it should be done on these
> lists, to our users. We have very little to gain by clarifying other
> people's mistakes on blogs, or wherever. The Internet is a big place, and
> people are often wrong.

Not so sure on this.

The problem with going totally silent on other people's blogs and
restricting corrections to this list is that not everyone - even the
majority of our users - read these lists.

If you see a post somewhere that is inaccurate, it may be a good idea to
leave a polite comment that provides the correct information or refutes
any misinformation.

That doesn't mean engaging in a tit-for-tat campaign with folks who are
obviously trying to flame CloudStack. As Noah says, we "win" on that
front by producing a better project not by having the loudest FUD
machine.

We can't correct *every* mistake, but if you see something that's
obviously wrong or outdated, it may be a good idea to *politely* comment
and give the correct information.

> cf. http://xkcd.com/386/

I do so love that cartoon... I even bought a print. :-)
--
Joe Brockmeier
Twitter: @jzb