cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: conserve mode for network offering
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 16:59:21 GMT
On 9/4/12 11:27 PM, "Mice Xia" <mice_xia@tcloudcomputing.com> wrote:

>Hi, all
>
>I noticed when 'conserve mode' is not checked for a network offering, the
>guest network created from this offering cannot do port forwarding and
>load balance if sourceNat is enabled.
>After checking network.js and wiki [1], I realized it was by design and
>much complicated than document said:
>    'Conserve mode. Indicate whether to use conserve mode. In this mode,
>network resources are allocated only when the first virtual machine
>starts in the network.'
>
>Can someone explain why 'conserve mode' behave this way? Thanks.
>
>[1] http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/Network+Offering
>
>Regards
>Mice

Mice, this description is wrong, the documentation has to be fixed. Adding
Jessica to the thread.

Conserve mode ON means that all public ip addresses associated with this
network, can be used for multiple purposes at the same time (PF/LB). When
the mode is off, the ip can serve only one purpose at a time.

For static nat it's quite different though. Doesn't matter if conserve
mode is on or off, when static nat is enabled, no PF/LB rule can be
created for the IP. Only Firewall rules can be added using
createFirewallRule command.

-Alena.