cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Review Request: Set correct version for database version check
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 00:01:35 GMT
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 6:25 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>

>> I agree - there are also practical problems from a packaging perspecting.
>> 4.0.0.5 is version 4.0.0.5 - but 4.0.0-5 is version 4.0.0 release 5.
>> Plus we've agreed previously on a versioning strategy of n.y.z
>

> You have to be exceptionally careful here. 4.0.0-5 is only "release" 5 if
> you have voted on it. Perhaps you mean build 5?

Sorry - terminology disconnect here.
In packaging, 'release' is considered:

The release tag can be thought of as the package's version. The
release is traditionally an integer — for example, when a specific
piece of software at a particular version is first packaged, the
release should be "1". If it is necessary to repackage that software
at the same version, the release should be incremented. When a new
version of the software becomes available, the release should drop
back to "1" when it is first packaged.

See:
[1] http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html

--David