cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: unit tests for api/src/com/cloud/agent/api
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:50:39 GMT
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:
> First, thanks for working on test stuff, we really need more automate test cases.
> If you plan to work on the API test, we have a python test framework: https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/testing-with-python.html.
The most compelling feature is that it supports code completion for cloudstack API, very easy
to write test case in Eclipse environment. And we are setting up a test infrastructure, which
will execute all the test cases written for this framework.
> We already have around 500+ test cases, or maybe more, but apparently it's not enough.
If you like to work on it, that will be great!

While I like the functional/integration tests, as you note we have
500+ currently. Those tests also take many hours to run at present.
Unit tests should be something fast, a sanity check, and we only have
25 right now for the entire code base, so while I like
func/integration tests, I'd really like for our unit tests to be
runnable on every commit, and provide some decent level of coverage so
that we have a bit of confidence that code works well, and provide
good feedback to folks on whether their commit passes the sniff test.

--David