cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [ASF40]What release number should we choose?
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 05:33:30 GMT
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:
> Refer to bug https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-44 and patch from https://reviews.apache.org/r/7013/,
can we decide which release number for the rc1 and formal release? Something like: 4.0.0-rc1.{build
number}, 4.0.0(for formal release)?

So one of the pain points we've had previously is that even the
release variable can inhibit upgrade testing, etc. What we decided
back then (pre-ASF) was that pre-release builds were always
3.0.0-0.#somenumber - the 0 denoting that it wasn't a release - this
could easily be 3.0.0-0.rc1 provided that each later release of 3.0.0
is something that will evaluate higher that 0.rc1 (such as 0.rc2, or
1)

--David