cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40][DISCUSS] How should we move forward to resolution on the config files in "patches"? Was: "Re: [ASFCS40] Configuration file licensing followup"
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:31:24 GMT
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> (Looking for mentor guidance here as well please!)
>
> On this topic, we need to come together as a community to figure out
> how we want to proceed with these configuration files.  It doesn't
> seem like we are going to get a definitive answer on legal-discuss@a.o
> without asking about a specific file from a specific source.  There
> HAS been a little discussion about the ability of a configuration file
> to be copyright on the legal list, but it didn't go much further than
> a couple of emails.
>
> As far as I can tell, we have some options:
>
> 1 - Do a file by file audit to confirm the source and if there is any
> claim of copyright on those files, and then either:
> 1.A - Ask the source project if they would consider granting a
> different license for just that config file.
> 1.B - Ask legal-discuss@a.o for specific exemptions
> 1.C - Do nothing, because the file isn't something that a copyright is
> claimed on (and we wouldn't claim a copyright either)
> 1.D - Spec out the requirements, and have someone attempt a clean-room
> implementation (I think that I could find someone if it gets to this)
> 2 - Follow up on the concept of configuration files not being
> protected by copyright, and ask for a ruling from legal-discuss on
> that idea.
>
> There may be other options that I'm missing.  I'm looking for opinions
> and suggestions for how to move forward, since this is absolutely one
> of the blocker issues for a 4.0 release.  Thoughts?

1C strikes me as what we should pursue (and fall back to something
else if we slapped on the wrist for it.)

Aside from Fontana's comment, I don't think we are likely to see a
bright line rule from a legal mind unless we catalog every file we are
talking about and have someone review it, so I don't think 2 will
happen. Even his was couched to say here's what I think, but I have no
idea what you are specifically talking about.

--David