cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Install.sh vs. pacakge repos
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:56:14 GMT
Wido, see my comments about the problems with hosting an APT repository on
ASF infra.

* Can't think of a way it would work with the mirrors.
* If you don't use the mirrors, infra might not like the bandwidth.

However:

* Do we already host repositories for Java?
* Can we set something up for debs?

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:

> On 09/11/2012 05:45 PM, David Nalley wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl>
>> wrote:

>>> I'd like to bring this up again, do we REALLY want this install.sh
>>> script?
>>>

>> This really deserves its own thread, because it won't receive the
>> attention it deserves in the original thread.
>>
>> I talked with infra about this a few weeks back, and while they said
>> they really wanted downstreams to package, they weren't vehemently
>> opposed to use creating our own repo, but we'd have to figure out how
>> to make it work with the mirror system.
>>

> A Debian/Ubutnu repository is just a bunch of directories and files, that
> could be distributed I think?
>
> The question is, do we want this to go on ASF infra or us an external
> mirror for it?
>

>  Personally - the packages as they exist are great for people doing a
>> first, small scale install, but it doesn't scale. While I am not
>> necessarily opposed to the installer, I also recognize the problems
>> from a real world deployment perspective.
>>

> I disagree on the first point. When manually installing packages with dpkg
> you will run into dependency hell. You (you=install script) manually have
> to "apt-get install" several packages.
>
> The problem you run into here is that you start doing redundant work. In
> the "control" file you specify which packages you depend on. If you'd use
> apt(itude) it will resolve those dependencies for you. But when doing a
> manual install with dpkg it will complain about every single package which
> is missing.
>
> This leads to having install.sh a couple of directives to install packages
> we already specific in the control file. On the longer run you get packages
> installed by install.sh which are no longer required, but apt has no way of
> knowing they can be removed.
>
> Packages should always enter a Debian system through apt to know which
> package was depending on which package so apt(itude) can do their work.
>
> Adding a repository and install CloudStack is just 4 commands, isn't that
> simple enough?
>
> $ echo "deb http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/**ubuntu<http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/ubuntu>$(lsb_release
-s -c) 4.0" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

--