cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Maven status (from my point of view)
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 14:33:41 GMT

On 04-Sep-2012, at 7:42 PM, Hugo Trippaers <HTrippaers@schubergphilis.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> The switch to maven is coming along nicely I think, however we are not there yet. With
the dependencies gone from the tree, the maven build is now the easiest way to build CloudStack
IMHO. All classes are properly compiled and stored in jar files and dependencies are automagically
downloaded to make sure everything compiles. Over the last few days I've added packaging of
the systemvm.iso to the maven files and I did some work on the awsapi. The awsapi is proving
to be difficult as it has multiple results (.mar, .aar, .jar files and a webapp). Maven doesn't
really like this. On the other hand, maven has plugins to deal with axis2 and generate everything,
so with a  bit of work we should be able to simplify this. Test code is not compiled in some
cases as there are some interesting circular references (test code for server depending on
vmware plugin comes to mind), that needs to be sorted if we want maven to be able to do its
job.

> I've spend the last two days to get packaging back into something that looks workable.
Even though we want to move away from waf, it seemed like the best way to fix the packaging
for now. With the exception of awsapi all RPM packages are being built on my dev environment
so that is looking good. I don't have a debian environment yet, so I'm not able to test a
debian build. I haven't done any testing on the rpms yet, just verified that they are build,
hoping to do that tomorrow.

Let's keep waf for sometime. But since ant is already broken :(

> Couple of questions that I would like some feedback on:
> * Maven includes the dependencies with their original filename, I believe we used to
ship our deps with cloud- prepended to the name. Now we need to either check if our dependencies
aren't already supplied by the OS or put them in a different directory, like /usr/share/java/cloud/*jar.
What is the best route to take?

Fixable with a custom maven exec? I think it's better to ship these jars with a cloud- prefix
(if there is no licensing issue) or for distro specific releases (debs, rpms) have the dependencies
added in the rules.

> Feedback, ideas,

I'm new to maven and I think many of us are too. Could you share with us simple commands on
how to use the ol' ant commands deploydb, deploy-server and debug with maven. Do we have those
goals running now, or are the wip? For me ant commands don't work anymore.

> complaints anyone?

For the past one week I'm unable to get my server running.
Not towards any specific person, but can we please not commit partial changes into master
at least?

Regards,
Rohit