cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: VLANS in Advance Networking NOT NEEDED.
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2012 07:23:01 GMT

On 8/8/12 10:32 AM, "Outback Dingo" <outbackdingo@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> SDN is more or less an alternative for vlans, which he doesn't want to
>>use
>> anyway. He has separate network segments already.
>>
>> There isn't very much good documentation for cloudstack networking. I
>> wanted to do something similar a few months back and ended up
>>frustrated. I
>> had vlans, but wanted my VMS to have a public interface on a shared
>>network
>> and a private interface on a shared network. In the GUI, you can only do
>> isolated networks in advanced mode. Once I realized that I had to
>>create my
>> network through the API I realized that I could do pretty much whatever
>> wanted with advanced networking.
>>
>> Outback Dingo, you should be able to do what you want by explicitly
>>setting
>> the traffic labels to the bridge devices you want. Cloudstack *should*
>>then
>> forego trying to create a new tagged interface and bridge. You will
>>have to
>> also create a new shared networking offering through the api that only
>> provides DHCP and userdata. Then create a new network with that
>>offering,
>> and VMs attached to that will work on your shared network. I know these
>>are
>> vague instructions but I'm away from the PC.
>
>We have tried this and it seems that any attempt to create a shared
>network offering fails with requiring a vlan

CloudStack is flexible, the UI can only offer some of the features.
The API should be able to configure untagged networks in Advanced Zone.
As the admin you should be able to call the createNetwork API with vlanId
= 'untagged'

Tags will help CloudStack determine which network goes on which nic.
The following guide should help:
http://cloudstack.org/media/kunena/attachments/2841/howToSetupNetworkLabels
.pdf