cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Murali Reddy <Murali.Re...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [cloudstack-devel] Hyper-V Support
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:29:09 GMT
On 07/08/12 3:35 PM, "Alessandro Pilotti" <ap@pilotti.it> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>we have some trouble with NFS to access the secondary storage as we are
>targetting Hyper-V server which, unlike Windows Server, doesn't have a
>native NFS client.
>
>How hard do you guys think it would be to add CIFS as an alternative to
>NFS in CloudStack?

Its not that hard to support CIFS as secondary storage with limitations.
Just the way there is no native support for Hyper-V/Windows server to use
NFS shared storage, I doubt if there is support for CIFS across the
hypervisors (Xen, vSphere, Kvm, Ovm) that CloudStack supports today. So
multi-hypervisor CloudStack deployment with CIFS as only secondary storage
does not work. If we impose, in order to use CIFS as secondary storage a
zone should only have Hyper-v hypervisors in the deployment then this may
not be issue. Alternatively in multi-hypervisor deployment one could add
both NFS and CIFS secondary storage, and tweak CloudStack
planner/allocators so that a VM created from template on CIFS storage is
launched only on Hyper-V hosts.

Please note that SSVM (secondary storage VM) also works with NFS secondary
storages only. In order to make SSVM handle CIFS, you can introduce a new
SecondaryStorageResource implementation for CIFS and change the way share
is mounted in SSVM. Most of the helper scripts and implemented
functionality on NfsSecondaryStorageResource should work.