cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40] CloudStack 4.0 release plan
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:56:04 GMT

> The only exception I would make to the "everything in 4.0" rule is for documentation.
 I don't see any value in branching the docs, and I want to make sure that we can keep updating
the docs at a fast pace even as we're deliberately slowing down the rate of change on the
code.  For this reason, I would have all the docs work continue in master, so there would
be no additional gatekeeping there, just the usual review.  Is everyone OK with that?

I've read this several times, and not sure that I understand.....Are you saying:
 that docs will continue to go into both 4.0 and master and will skip
the gatekeeper?
or that docs (e.g. the docs that will exist for 4.0) will happen only
in master going forward?

The latter concerns me, as we will release a source tarball whose docs
won't match our 4.0 release docs. Presumably master will rapidly move
on towards 4.1 docs after release, and we'll have no demonstrable way
to hack on 4.0 docs or for downstreams to consume 4.0 docs or for us
to produce translations of the exact 4.0 docs after they move on. In
short my concern is: how do we produce a 'this is the source for docs
that match this code release', and ensure that that point in time
still exists 6 months down the road?

--David