cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: RPM / DEB repository
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:52:48 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Caleb Call <calebcall@me.com> wrote:
> I would second this.  It would be great if you could add a repo to your server and then
run (RHEL) yum install cloudstack, or yum upgrade cloudstack.

> On Aug 24, 2012, at 11:57 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While working on the documentation I'm figured it would be nice if we would have
a RPM / DEB repository.

>> The CloudStack packages depend on a lot of external packages and if admins would
install using yum or apt these dependencies would be resolved automatically.

>> For example:
>>
>> $ echo "deb http://dl.cloudstack.org/debian 4.0" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cs.list
>> $ apt-get update
>> $ apt-get install cloud-agent
>>
>> This is a Ubuntu example, but the same goes for RHEL.
>>
>> We would however need to host binary packages, are we allowed to do so on the ASF
infra?

>> Otherwise I'm volunteering to provide space for this mirror.
>>
>> It would really simplify a lot of things if we could have such a repository instead
of having admins download all the seperate RPM or DEB packages manually.

>> I'm trying to get rid of:
>>
>> $ tar xzf cloudstack-4.0.tar.gz
>> $ cd cloudstack-4.0
>> $ ./install.sh
>>
>> Such install scripts do all kinds of "black magic" which the admin knows nothing
about. I'm documenting all the steps an admin has to take to prepare, install and configure
the management server and agent on RHEL (CentOS) or Ubuntu.

>> Do you guys see a benefit in this idea?
>>
>> A couple of steps to be taken if we want this:
>> * Space (Again, offering!)
>> * Builds need to be uploaded, these have to be tested very well!
>> * Signing of the builds, who does that?
>>
>> Suggestions or comments?
>>
>> Wido

I agree - probably multiple repos - one for nightly/frequent builds,
one for releases.
Worst case scenario we could host this on the planet.cs.o VM that JLK
is getting setup. I just queried infra about whether or not there is a
preferred place to do this.

--David