cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mel...@eu.citrix.com>
Subject RE: ec2 API compatibility (WSDL vs Query)
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 17:27:25 GMT

Yes, I don't want to be release manager forever!  That's definitely a job that we can share
around the community, and I'd love volunteers.

> On the tactical topic of the AWS API's for our first release, I think we need to
> compromise a bit here.  If Prachi can get everything working without the
> WSDL files being in the source tree, then that would be sufficient to achieve
> our primary objective for the release.
> Due to the noted concerns about the current quality of the query API, my
> personal opinion would be to release with the SOAP API intact.  If we run into
> issues making it work without the WSDL's, we'll need an alternative strategy
> to deal with the licensing / copyright issue for those files.
>
> Strategically, I would like to second Chiradeep's proposal that we aim to
> convert from SOAP to Query.  That will require testing effort, but I believe it's
> the right move long term.  Assuming the WSDL's can be removed cleanly, this
> deprecation step would be in a future release.
> However, I would strongly suggest that we include a notice in the 4.0 release
> notes that expresses our aim to convert from SOAP to Query.
> This, of course, assumes that nobody strongly disagrees with that strategy.
>
> To summarize, can we agree on the following?
>
> 1 - Prachi will update the list with his findings (attempting to remove the
> WSDL files).
> 2 - If Prachi is able to get it working, we release WITH the SOAP API intact, but
> with a notice of planned deprecation.
> 3 - If Prachi is not able to get it working, then we remove the SOAP API for
> this release, and do some of the basic testing required to assess quality for
> the Query API.  This would allow us to make an informed decision about how
> to handle the situation.

One correction: Prachi is a "she" ;-)

I'll let other people comment on whether they like this plan.  I'm not familiar with how many
people are using the SOAP API vs the Query one.

Cheers,

Ewan.